Tuesday, January 15, 2019

31 Days of Nancy Drew Topic #15 Nancy Drew Movie Collectibles


31 Days of Nancy Drew Topic #15

Nancy Drew Movie Collectibles


We've been over all the various books and spinoff series and now it's time to focus on Nancy Drew collectibles. There are 4 main categories of collectibles - movie, TV, classic/Wanderer period related to the books (1930 to 1980s) and then modern stuff out in the last couple decades. I want to give a brief overview of these collectibles in some upcoming blogs including today's - but there are too many collectibles to list here and picture - way too many. So, you are in luck in that I have been cataloging all of these collectibles, advertising, historical and paper ephemera/etc. at Pinterest in boards by category - and you can go indulge in seeing all the fun things out there to collect. The 1930s movie board is at this direct link - and you can follow my Pinterest to see the latest things I upload. The 2007 movie collectibles board is a this link.


I have more to add to the boards so hope to get everything up in the next month or two that I currently have - the bulk of it is there already though. However, I'm always sleuthing for new things. I have a board for items that got away - and there are some 30s movie items on that board I am missing as well as 2007 movie items.

1930s Nancy Drew Movie Collectibles

There was no official merchandise based on the films, so collectibles from the 30s movies consist of a lot of advertising and press kit related items which include: posters, lobby cards, movie stills, lantern slides, theater advertising, movie articles and magazine ads, autographed items, press kits and the like. There is also a wrapper for a certain print run of the book, The Password to Larkspur Lane, that overlays on the front lower area of the dust jacket/spine/back of dust jacket - which advertises Nancy Drew, Detective and has images from the film - this is very hard to find. I am missing this item from my collection. Not really related to this film, but Whitman published a series of mystery books featuring actresses and there was one featuring Bonita Granville - The Mystery of Star Island. Some collectors like to add this book to their collections.
 
 
 
 
 

I'm going to feature in this blog some images of these items but, I suggest you click on this link to see a nice variety of everything that can be found.

Where to find these? eBay is where I found just about all of my movie collectibles but that was over the last 20 years of collecting, there are not always readily available 1930s movie items as they are not that common--at least not on eBay. There are sites online that specialize in movie memorabilia and auction houses that have sold them. There are always collector shows, antique malls/etc. The hunt is always fun. They also tend to be expensive to collect sometimes. I've passed up quite a few things over the years because they were just too expensive. 

 
 
 
 
 

2007 Nancy Drew Movie Collectibles

There was not a lot of merchandise from this movie unfortunately. The official merchandise consisted of a DiDj game and some bags and wallets that you could purchase at Barnes & Noble plus the DVD of the movie and the movie soundtrack. There were some movie tie-in books that Simon & Schuster published too and some came with necklaces. There were cardboard movie displays for the books too. The rest of the collectibles out there to find are advertising and promotional items and giveaways from prizes and contests. There are cast and crew items such as scripts, director chair backs, shirts, and lunchboxes and hats. The movie premier goody bag swag and tickets are other areas of collectibles. I was fortunate enough to go to the premier so I was able to get some of the swag. I bought a lot of promo items on eBay that were being sold. Advertising items include posters, bookmarks, banners, movie trailer reels, display signs, mirror compact party favors, shirts, press kits, movie newspaper reproduction, magic 8 balls, flashlight/book lights, tins, lipstick pens, cosmetic bags, magazine articles and ads in magazines, notebooks, party kits, bookstore promotional press kits with buttons, signed photos and posters and so forth. At one time, one of the Nash convertibles from the movie filming was being sold. You can see what I'm aware of having been out there at my 2007 movie collectibles Pinterest board, but I'll show a sampling here in this posting. I have some promo items for sale in The Sleuth Shop.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Where to find? eBay is a good place where these things show up for sale from time to time--recently a tee from a promo related to the movie was listed at eBay. So you never know when something will come up - that is the fun of the hunt.

I'm always looking for more to collect! So, if you have something I don't have featured on my Pinterest movie boards or the missing collectibles board, share in the comments. In the comments, tell us if you like to collect movie related collectibles? What are some of your favorite collectible finds?

No comments: