Thursday, December 03, 2015

Pop Sleuth - Nancy Drew Sightings in Pop Culture


Former prosecutor and author Linda Fairstein's (of the popular Alex Cooper series) new middle-school geared Devlin Quick series she's currently writing is modeled after Nancy Drew. She said, "As a kid, I loved Nancy Drew mysteries. In a way, they introduced me to both my careers. I've always wanted to write a series inspired by those novels. So, before I begin my next Alex Cooper book, I've started a novel geared for middle-school kids. My character's name is Devlin Quick. She's a New York kid with lots of attitude, whose mother is the first female NYC Police Commissioner."

The North Shore Scenic Railroad in Duluth, MN features a murder mystery train ride. Their current mystery is "Sherlock Holmes and the Temple of Doom" and features the usual mashup of detectives among the characters on the train — Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, the Scooby-Doo gang, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys among others. Visit their website for more info.

In a recent interview, Rick Springfield who briefly played Ned Nickerson in the Nancy Drew 70s TV show, said of his role, "Oh my God. That was pretty awful. I remember the director really wasn’t digging my performance. He was an actor and it was his first directorial role and I had no clue what I was doing. He was trying to get all these acting chops, and he was going, 'C’mon, man!' and I was really stressed out. If I had any balls, I’d have been like, 'Dude, look what I’m working with! Come on!'"

Actress and author (Randi Rhodes series) Octavia Spencer said of her childhood reading, "I loved and read all the mysteries: Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Jupiter Jones, the Boxcar Gang."

Chesapeake College murder mystery dinner theater on Sept. 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. The Phenomenals troupe of Philadelphia presented “Lexi Ward: Girl Detective,” a Nancy Drew spoof set in the 1960s. 

Student Jennifer Baker, who is helping preserve Cape Girardeau Missouri's downtown historic district, loves historical mysteries and she was a Nancy Drew fan growing up--a recent news article online included this quote about her: "Jennifer Baker said reading far too many Nancy Drew novels as a little girl was probably what hooked her to the thrill of uncovering mysteries -- historical mysteries, that is" (NOTE: You can read TOO MANY Nancy Drew books?! Say it isn't so...)

Candace Cameron Bure (Full House) who has been starring in mini-series on Hallmark channel based on mystery books by Charlaine Harris grew up reading Nancy Drew books.

No comments: