Saturday, January 17, 2009

Model Grace Horton aka Nancy Drew

Grace Horton was the model for Nancy Drew--in the original covers and illustrations by Russell H. Tandy. There is not a lot known about Grace, but she clearly lent a "grace" and sophistication to Nancy Drew's style on the dust jackets of those original books.

Her family was known for Horton Ice Cream. I've created a montage shown above using a recent photo of Grace that was sold at eBay. Grace was a Harry Conover model who can sometimes be spotted in old print ads.

Author Susan Kandel built part of the murder mystery in Not a Girl Detective on Grace Horton and Russell H. Tandy.For more on Russell H. Tandy, check out this page of my website:

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/russellhtandy.html

Jenn:)

5 comments:

Chris F. said...

Very interesting! Keep up the good work.

Jenn Fisher said...

Thank you! I've got an advertisement for a Ry Krisp Ad featuring Grace I need to dig out one of these days.

Jenn:)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Grace will always be Nancy Drew to me. Thanks for the information, Jenn. Kim

Jenn Fisher said...

You're welcome. I hope to have some more in an upcoming issue of The Sleuth! (http://www.ndsleuths.com/thesleuth.html)

Jenn:)

Sarah said...

I ust finished the Not a Girl Detective book, and googled, curious about what Grace Horton looked like. Was thrilled to see the picture! Thanks!